June 21st, 2009 • Comments: 0 • by Wendy • Carnival of BreastfeedingFabulous FindsPumpingResources

June Carnival of Breastfeeding - Breastfeeding Hats? YES! Nursing Covers? Uh... Not So Much

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to our RSS feed.  Thanks for visiting!

Welcome to the June Carnival of Breastfeeding!  The theme for this month is Nursing in Public.  Be sure to check out the other bloggers' posts below.

I never really had a problem breastfeeding in public, but the oogles and stares indicated to me that a lot of other people did, which in turn, made me a teensy bit uncomfortable, but never enough to deter me.  I usually draped my shoulder with a receiving blanket to appease the gawkers (did I say that?) however since the baby's head would jerk and pull it off, I was forever adjusting.  I thought it was a pain in the ... well, you know.

MoBoleez as a sun hatI was never too jazzed about those big, bulky nursing covers either.  When I see a mom using one even to this day, I immediately think, "what big, bad thing is she hiding under that thing?"  'In my humble opinion', it sends a message that breastfeeding is something to be covered up and ashamed of.  "It is illicit, top secret, too awful to be seen with the human eye."  How ridiculous!  I also think that in warm weather, the baby would be sweltering under there.  Although they seem to function well for moms, they are definitely NOT for me and I imagine a lot of other moms feel the same way.

I have met so many Mom-Entrepreneurs since having my children.  It makes me so happy when I hear about yet another fantastic product that was created by a Mom that couldn't find "something" in the market, and thus created it herself!MoBoleez Couture

One of these Moms is Diane Sam, the creator of MoBoleez®.  She has come up with an ingenious invention - the world's first breastfeeding hat!  Being that I had already weaned both my daughters, it almost made me want to have another baby... almost. ;-)  Your baby wears the hat on their sweet little head, therefore his or her movements don't cause any "indiscretions".  The great big brim of the MoBoleez® gives moms a bit of privacy without covering-up the breastfeeding like it is some "big bad secret".  And here's a bonus - once baby is done nursing, she can continue to wear it as a sun hat!

MoBoleez hats draw attention to breastfeeding in a fun, positive and fashionable way which is one of the things that breastfeeding needs to be once again accepted into the mainstream culture as it once was at the beginning of the last century.

Isn't it time?

Do you/did you breastfeed in public?  If so, were you comfortable or not so much?  What, if anything, did you use for a cover?  I'd love to hear from you!

Check out these other bloggers' posts on Nursing in Public (updated throughout the day):

blog comments powered by Disqus

Elizabeth Kompagne says:

Where can you get a breastfeeding hat? That's adorable!

Posted on June 21, 2009

Wendy Armbruster Bell says:

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for alerting me that I didn't hyperlink the MoBoleez. Diane's website is www.MoBoleez.com. She has about 100 or so retailers in Canada and the USA and also sells off her site. Thanks for the question!

Posted on June 21, 2009

Melodie says:

I think those hats are so cute! What a wonderful mom invention. While the closest to covering I have done involved using a sling and more recently a nursing shirt from Momzelle, I have preferred not to worry about bringing a long any extra accessories when I go out. I can hardly even remember to pack a properly stcoked diaper bag let alone remember anything else! :)

Posted on June 22, 2009

Wendy Armbruster Bell says:

I hear ya on the "mama brain" Melodie. I don't know how old your kid(s) are, but it never goes away in my experience. :-)

Thanks for your comment.

Posted on June 22, 2009

Pamela says:

These are too adorable! Do they come in boy prints, too?

Posted on June 22, 2009

Wendy Armbruster Bell says:

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for your comment. If you visit Diane's website, you will see a print called "Bad to the Bone" in the Couture Collection that is great for boys!

Posted on June 22, 2009

Michelle Branco says:

A cute idea - good for moms who crave a cover, but whose babies won't stand for it (if they'll take the hat). I am glad they seem to have discontinued one of the earlier styles that had a white brim and pink centre though. Looked like one giant boobie pinned to the baby's head - and not in a good way. :)

Posted on June 22, 2009

Lauren @ HoboMama.com says:

I'd love to see one of these in action!

I had the same thought, though. Would a baby leave it on? Guess it depends on the baby! My little guy loves his baseball hat but always takes it off for nummies. Maybe it's his own no-hats-at-the-table rule? lol

Posted on June 24, 2009

Wendy Armbruster Bell says:

Thanks for the comments ladies. Diane gets this question a lot: "Will my baby pull the hat off?" Her answer is, "If you start using the MoBoleez when your baby is still very small, he/she will be used to it." Kind of like baby sunglasses. Introduce them too late and the baby will yank them off time after time. Having said that, eventually some babies that didn't tug on the hat initially, may start to as they get older. It does depend on the baby as well. How's that for a non-definitive answer?

Posted on June 24, 2009

The Poor Husband says:

For a hilarious breast-feeding story about nursing in public, check out this account of my wife at http://lifewithrachael.blogspot.com/2009/08/i-used-to-hate-camping.html

Posted on August 21, 2009

Wendy Armbruster Bell says:

Too funny @ThePoorHusband! Was she really ENTIRELY under the blanket?

Posted on August 24, 2009

Charm says:

Very innovative a "hat" using for breastfeeding. Seems very interesting and unique. I love the concept of it. A very wonderful cover-up.

Love to the style and the over-all setup of it.

Posted on April 19, 2010

Kristy @ All Breast Pumps says:

That is an excellent idea, thank you for posting I am going to share this with my readers. Thank you.

Posted on February 10, 2011